Saturday, May 1, 2010

Brickatino Goal and Mission

Good morning, good evening and good afternoon!

Welcome to the newest Lego related blog on the Internet and one that will hopefully be of interest to more then just myself! Why another Lego blog? Here is a little history about myself and what I am hoping to accomplish with this blog.

This last Christmas my brother-in-law gave my four year old son Lucas a number of assembled Star Wars Lego sets as a gift which was really cool and surprising. I was very, very impressed with the gift as I had little interaction with Lego and the ships looked and felt very cool and different from the Star Wars action figures and ships we usually bought. As it turned out my brother-in-law did not have time to finish all of the models and after some slight nudging I took it upon myself to assemble Yodas hut from the Star Wars X-Wing set 4502 for my son.



So I took the pieces, the instructions and a cup of coffee and sat down at the computer desk to assemble the set. At this point it must be stressed that I had never assembled a Lego set before. That's right, I managed to live on this planet for 36 years without ever putting together a Lego set and I really had no interest in doing so but I started the task for my son. It took me about thirty minutes to assemble this rather small set and when I finished I sat back and looked at the small minifig Yoda standing in his hut with a strange sense of satisfaction and amazement. All those little pieces made this? I was hooked.

Flash forward five months to today and I have assembled about seven sets for my son to enjoy including more Star Wars, Toy Story, Indiana Jones and more. I subscribed to the Lego Magazine and subscribed my son to Lego Jr magazine. I discovered BrickJournal magazine which is a constant source of envy and jealousy for a new AFOL. Oh, I found out what AFOL (Adult Fan of Lego) stood for. And now I am starting to plan my first MOC (My Own Creation) but I am still at a six year old Lego skill level.

Most AFOLs break their lives into three parts: their childhood with Lego, the dark years when they are "too old" for Lego and usually give away their collection, and then the point they return and embrace the Lego culture. I never really had the first two so this may be a different look at an adults descent into the steamy underbelly of the Lego culture. Oh, that sounded good! In reality I hope to document my experiences in the hopes that other adults who may not have had the childhood exposure to Lego or who consider Lego to be strictly for kids to discover a creative and enjoyable world right inside their rec rooms.

We are going to explore Lego web sites, read Lego themed books, build sets together, create MOCs of varying quality, and generally have a great time with all things Lego. In the future I would like to visit a Lego convention and eventually go visit the Lego amusement park in Florida when it opens and meet as many Lego fans as I can. And I hope that Lego fans of all shapes, sizes and experience enjoy the ride with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment